My Five Better-Than-Their-Book TV Shows by Jackie Kimmel
I have a confession. I serial watched the entire second season of Orange is the New Black in less than 48 hours. Yes, I planned my weekend around it. I did the same for House of Cards, don’t judge me.
After finishing the 13 episode season of Orange is the New Black, I began to ponder why I was enjoying the show WAY more than I enjoyed the book (which has the same name). The book was well written, had complex characters and shocking in-your-face reality. However, the show is simply better.
After much deliberation, I had a moment of self-realization. I almost always despise books that are turned into movies, but I almost always love books that are turned into TV shows. I would imagine TV shows have more creative license because they have more air time to work on character development and more freedom than a two-three hour movie.
Thinking about the TV shows I enjoy, there are many that are based on books. Here are five that I actually appreciate more than the original book(s).
My Five Better-Than-Their-Book TV Shows:
1. Orange is the New Black – As mentioned above, I lost an entire weekend binge watching this addictive show based on the memoir by Piper Kerman about her experiences in a women’s prison. In comparison, it took me two weeks to read the book because it didn’t capture me the same way as the show.
2. Sex and the City – No offense to Candace Bushnell, but the TV show was insanely better than her original book. The screenwriters who wrote Sex and the City for TV captivated an entire generation of women with their blunt, no holds barred look at dating, sex and relationships. .
3. Game of Thrones – I have read some of the books, but wasn’t moved to finish the rest. So many characters competing for the Iron Throne. The show, however, is not only entertaining it’s hard to look away. I have lost several weekends to this show too.
4. Dexter – The book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, is devilishly good with an even more satanic TV show. I have always been a little squeamish but I overcome that to both read the novel and watch this show.
5. True Blood – True Blood is based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries series. This show came along just after the Twilight craze and told the story of how vampires could use synthetic blood (Tru Blood) to better integrate into the human world.
The moral of this story? Whether it is a TV show or movie…books inspire us all! What are some of your favorite book to TV stories?
Jackie Kimmel is a writer who lives in Broomfield, Colorado. She is the former editor of several publications including: RV Trade Digest Magazine, The Morning Bridge, The Sky Report, Tusk Magazine and The Daily Titan Newspaper. She has loved reading since she was very young and prefers biographical, historical and chick-lit books. Follow Jackie on Twitter @Jkimmel2986.
Shelf Pleasure contributor Jackie Kimmel took the trip of her ..
This week we'll be putting our books down for a ..
Avid reader and Shelf Pleasure contributor Jackie Kimmel discovers the ..
Avid reader Jackie Kimmel learned to appreciate her beloved books ..
Hope you're gearing up for a fun 4th of July ..
We'll finally be seeing the movie version of Me Before You this ..