Great Music to Read to by Carlene Moore
Sometimes when I read, I hole up in a quiet nook, the only sound being the turning of the pages. But sometimes, it’s not that easy. When I’m on a bike in a loud gym, or sitting in a public park where kids scream past, or on a beach with frat boys throwing footballs and making crude jokes next to me, I can hardly hear myself read, let alone the sound of the pages turning. When I find myself in that type of situation, I like to tune into my music, in order to tune out the world. Here are 20 of my favorite tune out songs. They’re mostly slow, often no more than whispered, and they will enhance your reading experience instead of detract from it. Put together this playlist to drown out the drum of everyday life without missing a beat in your book.
1. Alexi Murdoch’s Orange Sky
2. Bon Iver’s Blindsided
3. Citizen Cope’s Sideways
4. David Gray’s Slow Motion
5. Dawes’ Million Dollar Bill
6. James Taylor’s Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
7. Josh Kelley’s Home to Me
8. Kings of Convenience’s I Don’t Know What I Can Save You From
9. Margot & The Nuclear So & Sos’ Talking in Code
10. Martin Luther McCoy’s While My Guitar Gently Weeps
11. Matt Kearney’s Where We Gonna Go From Here
12. Matt Wertz’s Lonely Tonight
13. Michele De Wilton songs/CDs: she’s a pianist so her CDs are all
14. Norah Jones’ Come Away With Me
15. Pride & Prejudice’s Soundtrack: 17 songs worth of instrumental music
16. Ray LaMontagne’s Let It Be Me
17. Sol Seppy’s Enter One
18. The Swallows’ Turning Blue
19. Turin Brakes’ Rain City
20. Zero 7’s The Space Between
If you also find background music a part of your reading experience, what’s your go-to tune?
Wantrepreneur, wife, adventurer, blogger, wine drinker, avid traveler…in no particular order. Carlene Moore is a Midwestern brain with a California soul. Follow her on Twitter @EverMooreMilest and read her blog here.
Submit your rave or rant on any book or reading related topic here.
So you’re creating a dream library in your house? Or ..
I’m not sure if you’ve seen it or not, but ..
I always have the best intentions to read what’s new ..
When I read a good book, I’m in awe. It ..
Spring is upon us! The flowers are blooming, the winds ..
I need to come clean about something: I love the ..