5 Things We Bet You Didn’t Know About…Jane Porter
It’s always interesting to learn more about the person behind some of our favorite books. Jane Porter, author of The Good Daughter, which comes out today, shares a few fun facts from her life.
1. I was a ballet dancer. From the time I was three until I was 16, I danced almost every day, and performed with a regional company. Ballet was one of my real loves, but it was unrequited. Ballet did not love me. With my big hips and very broad shoulders I was firmly in the back row of the corps and never once got a solo…
2. I hated school. Hated, hated, hated it. Spent as many days home sick as possible, so I could hide in my bedroom and read, and dance, and day dream–away from annoying teachers, kids, and rules.
3. My instrument in 6th grade was the drums. I loved playing drums. (Well, okay, mostly my drum pad, but still….). When I hear great music, I get my imaginary sticks going and bang the heck out of the air. I’m impressive, but my kids think I’m having a seizure.
4. I studied Zulu and Afrikaans during the year I lived in South Africa. I don’t remember most of the Zulu I learned except for basic phrases like Sawubona! (Good Morning!) or Ngiyabonga (Thank you). Not surprised, though, as I studied German for 7 years, including three at UCLA and all I really remember is Who is die Toilette? (where’s the bathroom?) Sad.
5. I live in a testosterone fueled world. I have three sons, two that are teenagers. My surfer husband acts like a teenage boy. We now have a South African boerbel puppy who is 7 months old, 110 lbs and on his way to becoming 180. He’s a massive teenager right now and impossible to control. Much like my sons and husband. Not sure where I fit in. Perhaps I don’t. Which is why I create worlds full of women, and the power and beauty of female friendship, and family love. I wouldn’t be able to survive if I didn’t have my girlfriends, my sister in LA, and my readers who have become my friends, too.
Jane Porter is an award-winning novelist with over 5 million books in print. Her popular novel Flirting with Forty was made into a Lifetime move starring Heather Locklear. She grew up in central California, graduated from UCLA and holds an MA in writing from the University of San Francisco. Porter writes full time and lives in southern California with her family. Visit her website at www.janeporter.com.
The Good Wife is the third book in national bestselling ..
There's nothing we love more at Shelf Pleasure than a ..
Author and Shelf Pleasure contributor Karen A. Chase on how ..
One of author Mary Miley’s favorite things about being a ..
Author and police psychologist Ellen Kirschman, Ph.D., weighs the pitfalls ..
Little known fact about Shelf Pleasure's Kristen: she's obsessed with ..